Monday, March 11, 2019

Captain Marvel

No spoilers in this post. Just general comments.

I watched Captain Marvel this weekend, which is unusual for me. I'm not a movie person and I hate crowds, so I see most films after they've been out for a couple weeks. But one of my friends asked if I wanted to go see it this weekend, and since it's a female-led superhero movie, I figured I should give it my support dollars, because goodness knows we need more of these.

And it was money well spent.

In fact, I was surprised by how much I was moved by it. I had enjoyed Wonder Woman, but I actually cried during Captain Marvel, and not because there were strategically placed "sad" moments. I found Carol Danvers to be incredibly inspiring, in her struggle to keep standing up when various men in her life put her down for being a girl. It's bad enough to be disappointed in your own performance, worse when someone doesn't think you should have even tried in the first place.

But Carol kept getting up.

I like that the two people most important to her are both women. I like that she's a superhero without a love interest.

And there were other good moments in the film too. The special effects de-aging Samuel Jackson were excellent and held up the entire film even in different lighting environments. Goose was adorable. I could've used more Agent Coulson (being an Agents of Shield fan), but I know he's always been a bit character in the larger MCU so it's understandable he wasn't in it more.

But when I get back to it, the best part is still Captain Marvel herself. I can't wait to see her join the team in Avenger's Endgame.

No comments:

Post a Comment